Early December Andy and Sophie played scientists in our kitchen. Andy had stumbled upon this video on YouTube and decided to try the experiment at home with Sophie. It’s so simple—and so cool. Sophie loved it.
Here’s what you need:
• a dinner-size plate (we used a reusable plastic one)
• about a cup of milk
• food coloring
• one or two drops of dish soap
1. Pour enough milk to cover the surface of the plate.
2. Add your food coloring. We let Sophie do this part and she put lots of drops of all four colors everywhere (instead of all piled up in the middle), which resulted in a vibrant display.
3. Carefully add one drop of dish soap.
5. After awhile we pushed the colors around with a toothpick and added another drop or two of soap.
“We should not teach children the sciences but give them a taste for them.” —Jean Jacques Rousseau